EasyCalculate 10 is an ArcGIS 10 Add-In that allows
calculating geometry characteristics of the features, drawing graphics
and performing simple editing. It carries the name of the popular set of
expressions for the Field Calculator (EasyCalculate
5.0), but is not exactly a new version of it.
Why it is different?
Read this article
for our reasoning.
Although it has about 40 ready to use functions, the main purpose
of EasyCalculate 10 is not to provide functionality, but to give an
example how to use Microsoft .NET environment in ArcGIS 10 (in a very
similar way VBA was used in the previous ArcGIS versions) to perform complex
calculations without using the Field Calculator.
EasyCalculate 10 - add-in is available for the
users that do not want to go into any programming - just install and
Prerequisite - ArcGIS 10.0 or above
Download EasyCalculate Add-In
Double click on the file in the Windows
Explorer. This will run the ESRI Add-In installation utility -
in the dialog click Install Add-In
Start ArcMap ==> Go to Customize ==> Customize
In the dialog go to Commands, select the
Add-In Controls category, find EasyCalculate button and drag it
to any toolbar.
Running Expressions - Click on the EasyCalculate
This will open the EasyCalculate dialog
- Select Category expression
- Select an expression - the description of the
expression will be displayed in the help box together
with the layer type, field type and all the parameters
- Select a feature layer on which to apply the
- Select the field to be populated
- Provide values for the input parameters if needed.
- The calculations will be performed on
- Selected features if there is a selection
- All features if there is no selection
- If the calculations are performed from within
editing session, the changes can be undone using the
standard Edit==> Undo
- For some expressions (indicated in the description)
you can specify what spatial reference to be used (from
the Map or the dataset)
- For the expressions of the Draw and Edit categories
the field to be populated is optional. If a field is
selected, it will be populated with 1 = success or 0 =
The source code of EasyCalculate 10 is
for the the people that have some VBA experience and want to create
their own functionality by either
adding it to the existing add-in or using the existing code as a sample
for their old add-ins.